Who says you can only rock boho style in the summer? Sure, you may not see too many flowy dresses out and about this time of the year, but gorgeous beachy waves and fishtail braids are in style all year round! One of the best looks to wear with your favorite chunky sweater is the Boho Fishtail-a half-up half-down, wavy look complete with an intricate braid. Want to give this look a try? Follow the simple step-by-step directions in our how-to below!
Get the Look
1. The first step in getting this beach babe look is prepping the hair with a volumizing mousse-like L'Oréal Professionnel's Volume Extra Envy. Distribute a golf ball-size amount of mousse through damp strands and power dry your hair. A power dry is an industry term for roughly drying your hair using your fingers instead of a brush. With your blow-dryer on its low heat setting, take your fingers and lift your hair up at the crown. Point your blow-dryer so it follows the strand of hair from root to end-which helps you avoid frizz. When your hair is nearly 100 percent dry you can reach for a brush if you need to.
2. Next, use a 1- to 2-inch curling wand or iron-bigger barrels are best for longer locks-and with the wand pointing down vertically, wrap 1-inch sections of hair around the barrel. Alternate between wrapping hair away from and toward the face for a beach wave feel. Once the hair is completely curled, allow it to cool to set the wave pattern.
3. Separate the curls with your fingers to create waves and spray a small amount of L'Oréal Professionnel's Next Day Hair for texture.
4. Part your hair and pull back a section from each side-keep in mind that you'll want to make sure that most of your hair is left out of and under the braid.
5. Use the two sections to create a fishtail braid-we share a tutorial on how to fishtail braid your hair here if you need a refresher. Once you're finished secure with a small clear elastic and tug on each loop gently in order to beef up your braid and give the illusion of volume.
6. Finally, set your style with L'Oréal Professionnel's Infinium 4 hairspray!