Oils have been used across the globe for millennia-both for their medicinal properties and their major beauty benefits. Oils are especially beneficial when we're talking about our hair care routines, as they help to not only add shine and softness, but can also protect and strengthen your hair. Think oils are simply a fast route to a wet look? Think again. We're sharing the best oils for hair and the absolute best way to use them, below.
The Best Oils (and Extracts) for Your Hair
First things first, if you're going to start using oils in your hair care routine, you want to make sure you're working with the best.
• Colza Oil – Also known as rapeseed oil, colza oil is rich in omegas 3 and 6 which helps it to hydrate the hair fiber from the inside out, imparting serious shine. It is deal for dry hair that needs a boost of moisture.
• Safflower Oil – Safflower, or carthame oil, is also rich in nourishing omega fatty acids plus vitamin K. Hailing from the Middle East, this oil helps to replenish the hair fiber, address dehydrated strands, and promote a healthy scalp environment.
• Jojaba Oil – This perennial favorite-pronounced ho-ho-ba-is in fact a liquid wax extracted from shrubs that are native to the Southwest. Used for ages by Native Americans, this oil helps to soothe, soften, and strengthen strands.
• Avocado Oil – Derived from everyone's favorite superfood, avocado oil is packed with nutrients, proteins, and minerals which help to add shine to and fortify your locks. Looking to grow your hair long and strong? Avocado oil needs to be on your radar!
• Osmanthus Extract – A native of China, extracts from the osmanthus flower help to infuse strands with antioxidants, providing suppleness and much-needed TLC.
• Almond Oil – This nutrient-rich oil is a cult-favorite, thanks in part to its ability to strengthen the hair cuticle while adding mega-watt shine.
• Myrrh Extract – Preserve your healthy hair with this essential oil known for its nourishing and healing properties.
• Orange Oil – Soften the hair fiber and add shine with this vitamin C-rich oil.
• Sunflower Oil – With antioxidant vitamin E and strengthening content of oleic acid, sunflower oil is ideal for preventing both dry, brittle hair and hair loss.
• Ginger Oil – Known for its Ayurvedic properties-and it's high zinc content-ginger oil helps to boost the hair's vitality, strengthening long lengths and caring for the scalp.
• Argan Oil – From Morocco, Argan oil is a favorite in the beauty world. Rich in vitamin E, it helps to nourish and protect hair.
• Cranberry Oil – This antioxidant-rich oil helps to protect hair.
• Grapeseed Oil – Packed with antioxidants, grapeseed oil imparts a gorgeous shine.
• Linseed Oil – Illuminate and protect your locks with linseed oil.
Where to Start
Before you run out to the grocery store in search of these nutrient-dense oils, consider making a detour towards the salon. The amazing, natural oils above can be found in L'Oréal Professionnel's Mythic Oil collection and its Mythic Moments salon services. Not only will you reap the rewards-read: strengthening, soothing, nourishing, protecting powers-you'll also enjoy a gorgeously intoxicating signature fragrance complete with notes of lychee, freesia, and pomegranate, white peony, jasmine, and neroli, and musk, sandalwood, and amber.
The Mythic Moments in-salon services have been inspired by time-honored ancient beauty rituals from around the globe-taking the best from the history books and personalizing it to your hair type and needs. For thick hair the service has been inspired by Indian oil bathing rituals-think: shirodhara-and, for normal to fine hair, the service leans more towards Egyptian oil layering rituals. No matter which of the four hair-type-specific services you opt for the result will be the same soft, manageable, incredibly shiny hair. Follow up the Mythic Moments with an at-home regimen and get ready for your softest, shiniest strands ever!
• The Grand Bliss for Thick Hair. This 15-minute treatment-which infuses hair with colza, safflower, and Argan oils as well as myrrh extract-includes a pre-shampoo, shampoo, conditioner, and style with Crème Universelle (with Argan and almond oils) and either the Nourishing Mythic Oil (with avocado and grapeseed oils) or the Colour Glow Oil (with linseed and cranberry oils).
• The Royal Bliss for Thick Hair. This 7-minute treatment includes all of the above with the exception of the pre-shampoo step.
• At-Home Nourishment for Thick Hair. At home, reach for the Mythic Oil Thick Hair Shampoo, Conditioner, and Mask to control and detangle hair while adding softness and shine using a blend of Argan oil and myrrh extract. Nourish your scalp and follicles with Serum de Force which uses Evening Primrose Oil and complete the routine with Crème Universelle before styling and either the Nourishing Mythic Oil or the Colour Glow Oil to add a shiny finish.
• The Grand Bliss for Normal to Fine Hair. This 15-minute treatment-which gives your locks a dose of osmanthus extract and ginger, jojoba, and avocado oils-includes a cleanse, treatment, and conditioning mask, followed by a style with either the Nourishing or Colour Glow Oils.
• The Royal Bliss for Normal to Fine Hair. This 7-minute treatment uses the same cleanse and treatment steps from above, but conditions hair with a leave-in Oil Detangling Spray.
• At-Home Nourishment for Normal to Fine Hair. Continue the Mythic Moment at home using Mythic Oil Normal to Fine Hair Shampoo, Mask, and Detangling Spray, Serum de Force, and the Nourishing and Colour Glow Oils.